Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Indian Lamb Chili

I have now returned to posting what I make every day for my self-declared Health Month. Since I have to tend to healing my fur angel, I have limited myself to 30 minutes for preparing any meal.

My fur angel is on a very nice protocol to cure his oral gum teeth issues without the horrific risks of oral surgery, that Corporate Vets know about, and I am so glad I fired that Nazi Vettery. Interestingly, fur angel's teeth and gums are very quick to heal, with the right care and homeopathic products. The usual suspects work quite well. I am amazed at how quickly they are returning to health. I thought I couldn't make myrrh based formulations but turns out I can.

I found a quick recipe for chicken chili that I modified and used for lamb. I modified it so much it's hardly recognizable and the final result is a "keeper", especially it only took me 30 minutes to make.

INDIAN LAMB CHILI

Served with buttermilk soda bread, topped with fresh avocados and homemade plain yogurt (daahi style)



INGREDIENTS (yes this part takes only 10 minutes to prepare)

A. The "Holy Trinity"
Red Onion or Shallot chopped fine - 1/2 cup
Garlic 1/2 head finely chopped
Fresh Ginger 1 inch finely chopped

B. Basic Indian Spices - Seeds
Cumin seeds and powder
Coriander Seeds and powder
Cilantro

C. Meat - cubed lamb about 1 plus pounds
Marinated 5 minutes in soy sauce balsam vinegar brown sugar S&P (discard marinade)
Kosher Salt and Black Pepper

D. Chili Spices and stuff
Oregano
Garlic Powder
Bay leaf
Chili pepper
Red crushed peppers
Cayenne Pepper
Paprika
1 diced red bell pepper
2 diced jalapeno peppers

E. Beans
Red Kidney Beans
Garbanzo beans

F. Vegetables
Diced tomatoes frizzed with tomato paste and tomato juice and Soy sauce

G. Olive oil

METHOD



1. Heat the olive oil in a heavy steel skillet.
2. Add the Holy trinity, and saute about 10 minutes on low.
3. Add the Indian spices stir about 30 seconds
4. Add meat and salt and pepper and braise lamb until the meat is browned and converted.
5. Add Chili stuff stir
6. Add beans and stir
7. Add "vegetables" tomatoes and tomato juice/or/paste and water and stir

Bring to boil. Cover, turn heat to low, simmer for another 20 minutes. Serve hot. It's all you need for dinner, plus 4 oz red wine.

The trick here is in the organization of your basic ingredients. When you do your shopping, for the basics, e.g, onions, garlic, ginger etc. divide this stash in half, chop one half immediately before storing them.

Make sure your spices are organized so you can pull one teaspoon quickly. Use the library approach.

Served with buttermilk soda bread...

0 comments:

eXTReMe Tracker