Thursday, December 28, 2006

Apple Coconut Pie

I've made literally over a thousand of these in my life, and never make the same one twice. It's one of those things that you go into the kitchen and automatically start making, like a cup of tea. If you have comfort food, this is my comfort process, something I do to make me happy. It's definitely one of "my things". When they are done, they are cooled and get popped into the freezer. My freezer is a happy place!

Oven at 350 deg. F.

1 unbaked 9 inch pie shell
3 eggs beaten
1 cup dark brown sugar
2 apples peeled cored and cubed or 3 cups of canned sliced apples, cubed.
1/2 cup butter melted and cooled
1/3 to 1/2 can coconut cream, the creamier the better
2 tb kudzu root or other vegetarian based thickener dissolved in 1 Tb cold water
6-8 tsp fresh lime or lemon juice
1-2 tsp vanilla
1 1/3 cup of finely shredded coconut (1/3 for the topping)
1/4-1/3 cups raisins soaked in brandy
1/2 tsp salt
Spices: cinnamon and cardamom powder

Method:
Combine beaten eggs, sugar , lemon or lime, vanilla, salt and butter, mix well.
Add coconut flakes and cream, and raisins, spices, stir gently.
Add apples, kudzu thickener, mix and pour into pie shell
Top with coconut.

Bake for 30 - 45 minutes

0 comments:

eXTReMe Tracker