Thursday, December 28, 2006

Apple and Butternut Squash Soup

This is a winter soup, and I got the original recipe 25 years ago from a cookbook written by someone who used to cook for the White House even 25 years prior. Anne Marie something? I no longer have her wonderful recipe book, and I did heavily modify her recipe for this soup. But her idea of sour fruit and sweet squash was right up my balance-the-taste alley.

1 1/2 pounds of butternut squash
3 tart green apples dice (I used the granny smiths)
1 medium red onion
1/2 tsp rosemary
1.2 tsp marjoram
3 cans chicken broth (I use vegetable broth, or water, for me, I keep away from meat broths when doing this pair of food combining).
2 cans water
2 slices bread (I use rye, else add 1/4 tsp caraway seeds)
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 cup coconut cream or 1/4 cup cup milk (she calls for 1/cup heavy cream)

Halve, peel, and de-seed the squash.
Core and coarsely chop apples (I don't peel them).
Coarsely chop onion.

Combine all ingredients up to but NOT including the pepper and cream in a heavy saucepan. Boil then simmer for 45 minutes. puree the soup in a blender, filling no more than 1/4 each time. return to saucepan, bring to a boil, remove from heat, add cream and parsley.

Note: Why do people add cream to soups? It is to achieve a particular consistency and richer taste. But it isn't based on taste values for health. It has nothing to do with cream being full of fat, which is good for you, it has to do with the correct balance for the person eating it.

Over the years I've substituted a number of substances to achieve differing final taste combinations - sesame oil, coconut oil, milk, melted butter etc.

0 comments:

eXTReMe Tracker